It's fun to make green foods on St. Patrick's Day! I don't think a bit of food coloring is going to hurt anyone, but if I can make green food using something natural, I'm all for it! These green muffins are a hit with my 4, although they have been known to gross out the rest of the lunch table!
2 cups flour (I use whole wheat without receiving any complaints)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 extra-large egg
3/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 six ounce bag of fresh spinach
1. Preheat oven to 350° and line a muffin tin with paper cups.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a blender, add egg, maple syrup, milk, oil, vanilla, and spinach. Process until pureed.
4. Add spinach mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined (do not over-mix). Fold in the mashed banana.
5. Scoop batter into the muffin tins using an ice-cream scooper. This will ensure they are all all the same size. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let us know what you think!